Thursday, June 02, 2016

No tenure

So..... it was a no.

No tenure.  No pay raise.  No stability.  And no job after May 14, 2017.

I'm looking into the appeal process and some quiet conversations are also happening between key leaders.  In the meantime, I got a huge publication success: my work with two friends was published in the top journal in our field.  The PR team in my school drafted up a summary document and sent it out to "the wires" (what is that?  Is it tubes like the internet? I don't know) and it was picked up by one of the most prestigious scientific magazines in the US and tomorrow I'm doing an interview about the work.  I'll link it up if it moves to a real story.

So there.  Not a single one of the people that voted against me has ever been cited in this magazine.  Bite it.

Also, I was invited by another colleague to speak on a 4-person panel about the challenges of work-life balance as a woman in academics (where we are routinely pounded into the ground and then left for teaching slots). I wrote back that I'd be happy to share my experience but that, since I was just denied tenure, I may not be the most successful example.  They asked if I'd still do it, since it's a real situation faced by the majority of women (not men, just women) that go up for tenure.  So, there's that.

The same day that I was told no tenure, I had to attend a special awards dinner for a student I've mentored the last 3 years.  She was allowed to invite one faculty member to attend this dinner along with her parents, and she chose me.  I arrived to her anxious face scanning me for news.  I shook my head slightly, burst into tears, and excused myself.  But I pulled myself back together and spent the next 2 hours celebrating her success.  She left me with a beautiful bracelet noting my impact on my world; a nice reminder that my success is not defined by the administration.

1 comment:

  1. Ohhh. Wish I had wise words for you.

    Jennifer M.

    ReplyDelete