Friday, August 22, 2014

Random bits

It is late August and we are finally having Katie's birthday slumber party tomorrow night with a few girl friends.  Invites were issued this morning.  Thank goodness her friends have families that don't mind last minute plans.

Rob's mom's garden is producing zucchini at alarming rates.  Today's haul was about 10 shoe-sized and 2 that were as big as Rob's entire lower leg.  I've turned one of the giants into a "Zuc-a-mole" which should freeze well and will then work as a mayo/pesto option; and the other joined a load of bell peppers and onions (also from her garden) to turn into sweet pickle relish.  It's 11PM and it's ready to be jarred and sealed and I'm craving a big hotdog covered in this stuff.

I'm not pregnant.  Totally not.  But based on today's high-waisted dress and my exhausted default state, and the fact that I had ginger ale instead of wine at tonight's "welcome back to a new school year" dinner, I'm pretty sure my whole department thinks I'm secretly expecting.  Shhh...



A former student of mine babysat the kids this afternoon so I could work and Rob could accomplish things without 3 kids in tow.  She made little gifts for each of them.  They love her already.  Yay!

Shoes!  I bought a pair of pointy-toe shiny black flats in 2010 for about $15.  Target brand from Target.  I know this because I was pregnant with August and heels were ruled out and I fond a cute pair of clearly dress-y shoes that were completely flat.  I wore them nearly every day and continued to do so for 4 years.  About 6 months after buying them, I began to regret that I hadn't gotten several pair. They were the best dress shoes ever, and they wouldn't last forever.  Four years later, the toe tips are nearly rounded and ripped off, the heel cups were split open along the seam, and there was no traction left.  I wore them every single day in Ukraine for miles of walking.  I have about 5 pair of black flats purchased over the years as replacements that have all failed to be as comfortable.  Friends: Target has them again this summer.  I bought a pair last week and wore them all day yesterday and today and it is love.  Now that I'm sure and know this size works, I'm going back for 3 pair to stash in my closet and I'm officially set for a decade.  I recommend a 1/2 size bigger than your usual shoe size.  They're $19.99.

30-ish years ago, on my mom's birthday, she was doing her annual garden -> pasta sauce routine.  Tomatoes were washed, blanched, peeled, and simmered.  Onions, peppers, and garlic were added.  Herbs and spices...  Hours in a steamy kitchen in mid-August, resulting in a huge black kettle of spicy tomato sauce simmering in the oven.  As mom went to remove it for jarring, it tipped and spilled scalding hot pasta sauce all over her kitchen and legs.  On her birthday.   This week, a few days after mom's birthday and on a far smaller scale, I sauteed some onion and garlic in a little oil, then piled the biggest soup-pot I own full of the tomatoes that have overflown our garden and sprouted up in the yard.  They simmered and stirred for hours until they were a chunky stew.  I let them cool, then ladled them into quart sized zipper bags to freeze down for winter soups and stews.  One tipped.  Another sprung a leak.  Tomato sauce filled the grout lines in my counters and dribbled down the cabinets and puddled on the floor.  And then August announced he'd had yet another potty accident and I laughed (between curses and mutterings).  Just like mom. (This photo was taken after the first one tipped over and I'd cleaned up most of the solid mess.  I wiped this up and then the other bag burst open and made a way way bigger mess and Auggie announced he'd had an accident and I was not in the mindset to find it photoworthy.)

1 comment:

  1. >I'm not pregnant. Totally not. But based on today's high-waisted dress and my exhausted default state, and the fact that I had ginger ale instead of wine at tonight's "welcome back to a new school year" dinner, I'm pretty sure my whole department thinks I'm secretly expecting. Shhh...<

    But you ARE expecitng...a teenage girl from the Ukraine. You just don't know how much longer the gestation period is. LOL.

    ReplyDelete