Saturday, June 21, 2014

Girl Time with Katie

I still want to do a full blown post for Katie's 9th birthday, and this is not terribly brilliant, but I'm trying to record this beautiful blur a bit more:

In all the rush of paperwork, preparations, hosting, and more, it's easy to lose track of the other kids on here.   This process has been especially hard on Katie who has had to suddenly share or lose her roles of "oldest" and "girl."  I tell her that she will always be my first child--the one that made me a mom and taught me everything I know about parenting and most of what I know about myself--but there are hard days.  Some days she cries that it's hard and not fair to lose her role after all this time; others that it is hard and not fair that she gets so much less time together at home with her sister before they'll start to grow up in earnest.  And she's entirely right on both.  It's hard.  And it's not fair (whatever that might be defined as).

Today while M took a nap and the boys played with Rob, I took a walk with Katie.  We went to the library and grocery and then back home.  We talked and laughed and held hands.  I admire her heart and mind so much--this kind, brave, generous soul.  I'm so grateful to be her mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment