Sunday, December 08, 2013

2013 Ornaments


Julie: a Russian-esque nesting doll-ish woman with starfish-ish designs on her.  Russian girl doll may be obvious to most, but the starfish story may be new.  See below.
August: a bulldozer with snow.  The back license plate says August 2013
Katie and Jorge: each a 4-leaf clover in recognition of 4H camp this summer.  Jorge's has a pine-tree shape at the top and Katie's has an angel, both have a charm reading 2013 and their initial.
Rob: a diamond miner, in recognition of his sudden full-force addition to diamond mining at a local do-it-yourself mine.

Starfish Story, often cited in seemingly dauntless tasks of social change:
“While wandering a deserted beach at dawn, stagnant in my work, I saw a man in the distance bending and throwing as he walked the endless stretch toward me. As he came near, I could see that he was throwing starfish, abandoned on the sand by the tide, back into the sea. When he was close enough I asked him why he was working so hard at this strange task. He said that the sun would dry the starfish and they would die. I said to him that I thought he was foolish. there were thousands of starfish on miles and miles of beach. One man alone could never make a difference. He smiled as he picked up the next starfish. Hurling it far into the sea he said, "It makes a difference for this one." ” ― Loren Eiseley
My ornament has "It makes a difference for this one, 2013" written on the bottom.

1 comment:

  1. I love this story. You are amazing. Thank you for being my friend and inspiring me to be better.

    ReplyDelete