Thursday, November 14, 2013

There will be BOOKS


M mentioned she liked reading, especially mysteries.  I did a little digging and finally--with the help of some of our wonderful librarians--figured out how to find the treasure trove (850 books!) of Russian-language books available in our local library system.

These will all be picked up a day or two before she arrives.  (Fun game: See if you can guess any based on the author.)

Incidentally:

Every time I saw a title or author I thought may be worth checking, I'd copy and paste the Russian-written-using-letters-from-the-Latin-alphabet into Google translate, which would helpfully pretend it had no idea what "Dzen Eir" was but suggest that maybe I meant something like "Джейн Эйр"?  And if I clicked that, it would tell me that I was looking at "Jane Eyre" by Charlotte Bronte.  If I was then uncertain what that book was about (for example, a book called "The House at the Corner" could be just about anything) I would then type the author and/or title into Goodreads to get a sense of genre, target demographic, smut-level, and overall appropriateness.

850 books suddenly seems like an immense library.


1 comment:

  1. Wow! What a great resource and some wonderful librarians.

    ReplyDelete