Friday, June 07, 2013

(Many...) More Letters from Enamela Pearlywhite

Katie's tooth fairy is named Enamela Pearlywhite.  Over the past few years they've exchanged many letters and we've learned a lot about tooth fairies and fairies in general.  Each of these is in a response to a letter from Katie, to which I don't have access.  A friend asked me to share them all, so here they are.

These are, of course, very special to Katie and me.  Feel free to use the ideas for your own favorite tooth-losing child, but these are ours so please don't go stealing them and making a book or something, m'kay?  Thanks.

I'll put one of those page break things in here since it's crazy long.



Letter #1 is here.

Letter #2: 
Fly with you, Katie!

I am ever so happy to come see you again.  Your room is so beautiful.  The fairy statue by the mirror gave me quite a startle as it looks very much like my sister Flossie.  She’s also a very good dancer like your statue.   She would like your night clothes very much because she wants to be a princess ballerina every day.

It is no trouble at all that your tooth is broken.  The most important thing is that it is very clean and strong and there is no doubt that this is a fine strong tooth and it will work perfectly in our secret fairy works.

Since you asked, I will tell you: We tooth fairies wear all kinds of beautiful flower dresses and moondrop gowns during the day, but at night we wear a very special outfit for our work.  It is made of shimmering silver stardust and has pants and a long shirt and silver boots and a scarf that we wear around our heads.  If a human child wakes up, we can zip high into the sky and we look just like a regular star.  Plus, gathering teeth can be a lot of work!  Climbing under pillows and finding the tooth can be ever so tricky!  Dresses are too fussy for tooth gathering.

I see your new teeth are growing in ever so strong.  Thank you for taking such good care of your very valuable teeth.
Fly again soon,
[Enamela Pearlywhite]

Letter #3:

Fly with you, Katie!

I was aflutter with excitement when I heard that you lost another tooth.  I love visiting your room.  Thank you for your note!

You have such strong, clean, and beautiful teeth that all of the fairies dance with joy to have them in our tooth collection.  Please keep taking very good care of them.

You asked where I live.  Well, fairies live in all kinds of places depending on what kind of work they do.  Some fairies live near streams or in houses in the river banks.  Some live near gardens.  Some even live in rock houses at the very top of mountains!  Tooth fairies mostly live behind very small waterfalls.  We can use the falling water to clean the teeth.  But we only use small hidden ones, the big ones are too loud!

Yes, I have heard other fairies talking about your lovely garden for several weeks and I even had tea there with a friend last week!  It is even lovelier than they said!  We were very careful to clean it all up.  Not all fairies are as careful as they should be.  We never know when a lovely garden is really a trap set by a tricksy clumsy child!  It is good fairy manners to tidy up when we leave, but sometimes we forget things, too.

My sister, Flossie, did not believe me about your statue looking just like her.  She wanted to see, too, so I brought her with me tonight.  She says “Fly with you, Katie” and agrees that the statue is lovely.

Fly again soon,
[signed by both Enamela and Flossie Pearlywhite]

Letter #4

Fly with you, Katie!

I got a fairy-mail very early this morning that you had lost a tooth and I hardly touched the ground all day in excitement.  Thank you for your note!  I can tell that you have been brushing and eating well.  Your teeth are some of the very best in our collection.  Good job!  

I’m pleased to hear you like first grade and reading.  Reading is magically fun!  I like to read stories about little girls who do ballet and like horses and music.  Do you like horses?  Did you know horse teeth just keep growing their whole lives?  They are huge!  And I love constellations!  I often sneak off to hide in one if a child wakes up.  I like to be a drop in the big dipper!

I look a lot like my sister, Flossie, except I have bright white hair with two pink streaks in it.  I have brown eyes and very clean teeth.

I usually sleep very late in the morning and then have tea or visit friends.  In the afternoon we work with our tooth collection.  If any of the children on my list have teeth to pick up or if Flossie is really busy and needs help then we go pick up teeth in the evening until late at night and then go home to rest.

I like to eat lots of seeds and nuts and fruits.  I also really like honey-rosedrop tea.  My friend and I had tea in your garden again last week.  I like the fence.  The squirrels couldn’t bother us at all! 

Oh, and I have not met your friend’s mom but I do not think she is a tooth fairy.  She sounds much too big to be a tooth fairy.  And [your other friend] does not have to believe in fairies if he does not want to.  I don’t mind.

Fly again soon,
[Enamela Pearlywhite]


Letter #5

Fly with you, Katie!

I was ever so pleased to see you again.  You are growing so big!  I hope you have been having fun on your travels.

I am very busy lately so I can not write a long note.  When it is very cold the fairy homes do get very chilly and we all must hurry even more to keep warm.  But I will do my very best to answer your questions.  Our waterfall does not freeze, but some do.  The fairies who live in frozen-fall homes wear extra warm clothes made of bits of fur and thick leaves to keep warm.  They bring their teeth to the rushing-fall homes to be used in our secret fairy works.  We eat mostly nuts and berries and during the winter there’s nothing as lovely as a warm fairy-cup of cinnamon tea and a toasty piece of rice or barley with some butter.  I can’t wait to snuggle into my fairy bed with some when I’m home!

I don’t have any pets, but fairies are friends with all of the birds and insects and other animals.  Sometimes we live quite close to a spider web or bird nest and we become ever such good friends with our neighbors!

I’m very pleased you have no cavities. Keep taking care of your teeth!

Fly again soon,

[Enamela Pearlywhite]

Letter #6
Fly with you, Katie!

I got a fairy-mail yesterday that you had lost another tooth already!  I am ever so pleased to see you again.  

Your room looks different.  It’s lovely.  Thank you for your note and your tooth!  Goodness, it is a truly lovely tooth.  You are so kind to give your teeth for our works.  I have left you a little extra tonight since you have given so many teeth lately.

You asked how we get out of our houses and into yours, so I will tell you.  We choose waterfalls very carefully and are very picky.  We choose only those waterfalls that have spaces behind them that are big enough for us to easily fly between the water and the wall.  And in case anyone ever finds it, we also have secret tunnels that open out of the tops of the trees so that we can zip out into the sky if our lovely homes are disturbed.

I’m ever so sorry, but I can’t tell you how I get into your home.  It is a fairy rule in my family that we can’t tell, just in case someday a child decides to try to catch us.  But I can tell you that we are much smaller than humans and that most houses have at least a few loose windows, doors, roof tiles, or a chimney and we can figure something out.  We just have to make sure to close it tight behind us, so squirrels don’t sneak in later!  Squirrels can be very rude.

 Fly again soon,
[Enamela Pearlywhite]

Letter #7
Fly with you, Katie!

I am ever so pleased to be here again already.  I will miss you after you lose your next tooth.  It may be a few months before you lose more teeth after this one.   Is it ok if I peek in sometimes to see your room?  I do so enjoy your lovely room. 

I have never seen a video.  It sounds ever so exciting.  I think my cousins used to live near your land lab.  It is a beautiful place.  I hope you will enjoy it.  And be careful not to disturb any small waterfalls!

I have many friends.  We sometimes play fairy games, but our favorite thing is to have tea in lovely gardens.  I am excited for spring to bring the flowers back for tea parties.  If your garden is ready, we will visit often.

Thank you for your note and your lovely friendship.  Your notes are very special to me.

Fly again soon,
[Enamela Pearlywhite]

Letter #8
Fly with you, Katie!
I’m ever so pleased to see that you have lost your tooth.  You have the loveliest teeth and your room is one of my favorite to visit.  You leave such lovely notes and drawings.  Thank you.
It may be awhile before you lose another tooth and I will miss you ever so dearly until then.  I will still peek in sometimes if you don’t mind.  If you ever want to leave me a note, just tuck it under your pillow and I’ll check when I visit.  I won’t be able to check every night but I do hope to try.  
Perhaps I can have tea in your lovely garden again this summer.  I do hope so.
Fly again soon,
[Enamela Pearlywhite]

Letter #9
Fly with you, Katie!

My friends and I were having a tea party in your lovely garden again tonight and enjoying the fireworks.  I was ever so pleased to see a note in your room when I popped in for a visit.  Your room is simply beautiful and I see that your new teeth are growing in quite strong!  

The garden is a lovely place.  My favorite is the big table and chairs so we can all sit and enjoy company together.  Jorge’s garden is also very lovely.  We are ever so pleased when we can visit your home because visiting children who know about fairies is great fun.

I like writing in codes, too!  And I know some Braille.  Some of the other children I work with use Braille.
See if you can figure this one out!

(this part was in Braille) Fly   Again  Soon 

Your dear friend,
[Enamela Pearlywhite]

Letter #10 (Katie's Beta fish, Pearl, had died and, after a few months, been replaced by Shimmer)
Fly with you, Katie!

Thank you for your note and the ever so beautiful new clothes!  I had to wait until Flossie was available to help carry them all away—and we also had to wait until the weather was less dangerous.   The wind and cold makes it ever so difficult to fly!  The clothes will be lovely when we are cozy at home and having fairy parties.  Most of my clothes are made of flowers and they are getting rather worn out in the winter.  In the spring so many beautiful flowers are available to make frocks and other things, but in the winter it is harder to find new or warm things.  I will share them with my many fairy friends.

The special dentist will surely help you take extra good care of your beautiful teeth.  I hope you enjoy meeting him or her.  

The fairy garden is wonderful.  Shimmer is so pretty.  We miss Pearl (especially my friend, Pearla, who liked sharing her name).  Pearl reminded us of teeth.  Shimmer is a very lovely fish and also reminds us of a sparkling tooth.  I promise, though, that we will never accidentally take her as a tooth!

Fly again soon,
[Enamela Pearlywhite]

Letter #11 (following having 4 baby teeth pulled to make room and reduce orthodontia work.  The fairies planted two plants in the fairy garden, in addition to the cash and some earrings.  Katie rationed out the teeth, leaving 2 the first night and taking the other two to school; then doing the second 2 the next night (letter 12).  Also, Shimmer died.).

Fly with you, Katie!

I was all aflutter with excitement and surprise today when I received a notice that you had four teeth out!  My goodness!  I am so pleased to have these two strong teeth.  They will be perfectly perfect for our fairy works. Having four teeth out can be hard.  I do so hope that your mouth is feeling normal soon.  

I will let my fairy friends know about Jorge’s loose teeth.  He will have a different fairy, but I won’t tell you the name so it can be a surprise for Jorge to find out.  It’s not me or Flossie or Pearla.  We all have ever so many houses to visit right now and so a new fairy is waiting to be Jorge’s tooth fairy.

Because you had such exceedingly lovely and big teeth, some fairy friends wanted to help do something special.  I hope you like it!  When you are ready for me to take the other two, simply leave a note in the fairy garden.  My fairy friends and I have tea there many times in the summer so if I am not there, they will tell me to come check in a fairy-flash.  

Fly again soon,
[Enamela Pearlywhite]

P.S. We miss Shimmer.  She was a good friend.
P.P.S Smell the green ones.  They are lemony!


Letter #12
Fly with you, Katie!

It’s lovely to be back so soon!  I’m ever so pleased that you liked the flowers and the butterfly earrings.  The earrings are made of mother-of-pearl and real silver and were made by very talented crafters.  

The white flowers are called “diamond frost euphorbia”.  I think that name sounds so dreamy.  Euphorbia sounds like “euphoria” which means the kind of happy where you think your heart and face will break from smiling, and those flowers always make me smile.  It grows very well in a happy garden, so I know it will do well here in your lovely room.  

The other is called “lemon thyme”.  It is an herb and you can cook or make a tea with it.  Put a twig or two of the thyme and a small cinnamon stick in some hot water for several minutes.  Then enjoy! You can add some honey or lemon if you like, too, but I like mine with just the leaves and cinnamon.  We fairies will be drinking that in your garden this summer!  It is also yummy with cooked carrots or green beans.  You can even make lemon-thyme-tea-bread with it!  (I like to lay down in it and smell it like a lilac bush).  Mosquitoes really dislike it, so it’s very nice to have around.

You asked about our fairy notifications.  We used to have alarm bells that rang when any child lost a tooth, but it was too noisy and confusing.  We have a special map that lights up when a child loses a tooth.  New fairies-in-training work in the notification department and they send a note to the right tooth-gathering fairy as soon as the map lights up!  Sometimes they miss a light, and it takes an extra day for us to find out, though!

Oh my, this is a long note!  I must fly!  Please do write again soon.  The other fairies are so interested in your notes, too!  

Fly again soon,
[Enamela Pearlywhite]

1 comment:

  1. I love them, Julie!
    Now I feel badly that my children just hand me the tooth and I hand them money--we cut out the middleman.
    Your letters are just lovely!

    ReplyDelete