Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Yay...?

At the risk of being indelicate, my digestive system and I have been at war for months.  Years.  Forever?  I've rarely gone more than a day without feeling some amount of miserable yuck. I've tried adding and subtracting things from my routine and, until now, nothing has really made a difference.

Until now.  I've been off gluten for 4 days now and I feel amazing.  A-MAZE-ING.  Words fail me here.  Trust me: when you spend a substantial part of every day making sure there's a clear line for the bathroom and you tend to feel like your insides are a murky pit of doom as the default setting, returning to "normal" feels more like "holy sweet gracious!"

So, yay?  I feel better.  But gluten-free?  Really?  In addition to our dairy issues in this house?  As Rob said: guess we'll never eat a normal family dinner again.  Are we sure it's not something easy?  Like dairy?

But really, it's not so bad.  Maybe it's because we're used to adjusting recipes on the fly.  And even though no one likes a  "here's what I ate for dinner" post...Um, here's what I ate this week.

Monday: Several coffees and a banana, Subway for lunch (salad with bacon and loads of veggies); and a late late dinner of leftover rice, some leftover stir-fried type vegetables (with no soy sauce which has gluten), and a scrambled egg.
Tuesday: Several coffees, a banana and orange; another Subway bacon salad, dinner was rice and beans with sausage, and spinach.  Only point of feeling denied: the kids and Rob had some hot cross buns I had picked up at the store.  I had some more fruit.
Wednesday: Several coffees (this really should go without mention I suppose), Subway salad with tuna salad on it (adding pickles and the sweet peppers to the usual pile of fresh veggies makes this amazingly good).  (Also, I need to get back into the habit of packing a lunch)  For dinner Rob made fish sticks which I skipped because of the breading, but the french fries and coleslaw were fine.  Some pickled beets were even better than fish sticks; I really enjoyed the ones I managed to eat between August's screaming demands for more for himself.  I think he matched me beet-for-beet!  The other kids rejected them in no uncertain terms.

So, basically, no bread, no pasta, no crackers, cakes, muffins, cookies, pancakes, waffles....it starts to feel like a long list!  But it's not really a big deal so far.  And feeling ah-mahz-ing is worth it.  I'm going to stay gluten-free for at least 2 weeks and then try re-introducing it.  If I still feel amazing, it was a fluke.  If I return to my miserable innards, it's bye-bye gluten.

1 comment:

  1. I have read you since before the arrival of Jorge, so please pardon me for being a butinsky.

    You have talked about the bad sleep habits of August. I think it will be interesting to see if the removal of gluten from YOUR diet, will affect August in any positive way.

    GenE Shockley

    ReplyDelete