Monday, January 16, 2012

Random Book Recommendation: Peter Pan

I've never been particularly interested in Peter Pan as a Disney movie or even just as a story.   However, a few years ago a cousin told me about "Peter and the Starcatchers" by Dave Barry and Ridley Pearson.  It's a pre-quel of the classic story with Peter and his friends on a ship that is attacked and then shipwrecked by pirates, landing them on a strange island and setting up the entire Neverland tale.  Barry has always been a favorite of mine and Pearson is from St Louis, so what could go wrong?  I picked it up for Rob at some point and then we discovered it was actually a 5-book series and got the rest.  We read them all in record time last fall.

When I got my Kindle, I was excited to see Peter and Wendy by JM Barrie as a free book.  It's the original book and is far more interesting and engaging than your typical children's book.  Even better, Barrie wrote another book call "The little white bird" which has a few chapters that first introduce Peter Pan.  Wanting to complete the set, I started it tonight and have been laughing and sighing throughout.  What an under-appreciated genius!

If you have a Kindle or the Kindle app, I highly recommend both Barrie books.  I plan to read some more of his plays and stories once I finish this one (and the two library books with due dates).

No comments:

Post a Comment