Saturday, January 14, 2012

3.5 day weekend

The kids were sent home at lunch on Friday due to worsening weather, meaning they're home for way too long.  And then they have 3 days of school and--oy--another 3 day weekend.  Anyone want to borrow some kids for a few days?

I made tostadas today after Jill mentioned them a few days ago and set my mouth watering.  Brown corn tortillas in some hot oil and toss on plates.  Meanwhile, drain a can of black beans and add to another hot skillet with a little oil, stirring occassionally and then mushing a bit.  Season if you want.  Spread the beans on the crispy tortillas and add some cheese (or "cheese") and microwave to melt.  Then top with shredded lettuce and carrots, diced tomatoes, sour cream, salsa, guacamole, or whatever else makes you happy.

Passable imitation guacamole
I hate paying for avocados.  I do buy them occasionally for a specific meal, but never just have them laying around.  So impromptu Mexican food almost never includes guacamole.

I've seen a tip many times to replace 1/2 the avocado with mashed frozen peas to make it a little cheaper and lower calorie/fat.  I figured maybe I could push the limits of that.  It came out ok.  Not something I'd want to shovel in my mouth with chips, but decent on top of a lot of other stuff in a taco or whatever.  And while it might (maybe, not sure) be lower fat or calorie and is definitely cheaper, I doubt it's healthier since the fat in avocado is way healthier than mayo.

1/2-3/4 cup frozen peas, defrosted a bit.  Room temp or fridge is great; frozen is difficult to get smooth.
2-3 Tbsp mayonnaise (we use the olive oil kind by Hellman's)
dash of cumin, Mexican chili seasoning, or taco spices

Puree.  Taste.  Add more mayo if it isn't creamy enough, more spice if it tastes too "pea"-y.  Whatever.

1 comment:

  1. I've never heard of this idea. I like it mucho. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete