Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Owl Feliz

The Joann's near us is moving and had 70-90% off of everything to clear the old store.  I picked up entire bolts of cute corduroy prints and solids and turned some of it into these dresses this week.  These two are identical with owls for the under-dress and a dark purple over-dress with applique and trimmed pockets on the left hip.  The other one I made last weekend and has a purple under-dress with butterflies printed all over it.  Four butterflies are appliqued to the apron and the pocket is entirely butterflies instead of just trimmed.

I love love love the Feliz pattern for dresses.  It cuts and sews together super easy and is extremely forgiving to my casual non-pinning, hardly measuring sewing style.  And as far as investment of time, the dress grows easily with the child thanks to the elastic and ribbons and eventually becomes a top and/or a skirt (tuck in the straps). Katie can easily get six or seven years of wear out of these!

3 comments:

  1. Okay, tell me what kind of sewing machine you own. I'm determined that my sewing. Machine is the main reason I struggle to like the sewing process.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My machine is a Kenmore embroidery machine but, like all Kenmore products, it's really a different brand just re-packaged with Kenmore's seal of approval. It is identical to a Janome, but I bought it back in 2001 so I can't seem to find the comparable machine anymore. It has embroidery functionality and is just an absolute work horse. Heavy and strong and no nonsense. It also cost close to $1000 but with all the veils I made with it, it has paid for itself 10 times or more. I dread the day I have to replace it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also: even without the fancy machine, there are things to make sewing infinitely easier.

    1. hemming feet. Just get them. I used them for all the hems on these dresses and on the wedding dress I altered for a friend this summer and everything else I make. Worth every penny; and really not that pricey. I got a 2-pack with different sizes for about $20.

    2. Some kind of guided foot for top stitching. I use my blind-hem foot which has a little plastic adjustable guide that is supposed to be for sewing blind hems (obviously) but works beautifully for guiding along the edge of a project and keeping the top stitching in a perfectly acceptable line.

    I just discovered both of these in the last year and don't know what I was doing for the last 20 years without them.

    ReplyDelete