Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Embracing my old fogey self

Everyone, eventually, reaches a stage or phase where they decide to close their eyes and ears and start blocking out the newest trends.  It's just all too much after awhile.  I remember one day many many moons ago mentioning someone, I think Gwen Stafani, in conversation and my dad asked who I was talking about.  I could not believe he didn't have at least some idea who she was.  I mean, I wasn't a huge fan but it seemed impossible to not know her name at the very least.  Well, all you whippersnappers can just keep it.

Listening to the occasional radio or tv commercial and hearing my students chat, I present to you:

Things I wouldn't recognize if it was dead on my doorstep
1. A Kardashian
2. Beibur, Lady Gaga, or pretty much any other singer recognized primarily by the under 20 year old set.  (Right, those two are singers, I gather..?)
3. Angry birds
4. Any sports figure.  Seriously, any of them.  Can't think of a single one I can picture.  It helps that I can't think of more than a few names to even try to picture.
5. Snookie (??)  I gather from references it's a human...?  I orginally thought it was either a dog or a cartoon but based on halloween costume references I'm now guessing woman?
6. Along the lines of "Known unknown and unknown unknowns", you can add almost anything else here that is from pop culture of the last 15 years and/or is on cable.

Things I'm so over (and perhaps never liked) that keep showing up on Pinterest
1. Chevron.  What's the obsession?  Why does everything keep showing up with Charlie Brown's shirt pattern on it?  No thanks.
2. The entire "Keep Calm and..." trend.
3. Quatra-foils


And while I'm at it:

Things that I do not endorse:
1. Christmas music starting on November 1.  I barely accept Dec 1.
2. Christmas commercials starting on (before?) November 1.  Again, Dec 1 is negotiable.
3. Photoshop.  I think it has taken away the skill of real photography, which I've only recently learned to appreciate.  If something is photoshopped it should no longer be called photography but digital artwork.
4. The apparent attitude--based on commercials--that people can not go 2 minutes without seeing some kind of TV, internet, or other entertainment device and must have TVs in every single room which they must have on.
5.  Those "cri-cut" machines which allow you to cut things out of vinyl or paper and make sticky shapes and do professional level artwork.  Ok, so maybe I'm just jealous of those.  But it bugs me everytime I see a cool "do-it-yourself" project and it uses those.  A fancy $200 machine is no longer "do-it-yourself."  (Says the girl with the really fancy sewing machine.  Ok, fine, it's jealousy.)


You're welcome to all of it.  Take it, enjoy it, roll your eyes at my old-i-tude.  I'm over here enjoying the rock I'll be living under from now on.

5 comments:

  1. For me it's not pop culture that I don't recognize, it's the pop culture from years ago that the younger generation knows nothing about. Really, Saved by the Bell should be mandatory so I don't look silly when I say "There's no time, there's never any time!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes and yes and yes.

    Um, what are quatra-foils?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Quatra-foils ... is that like doubles fencing, two on two? Jo might like that.

    Never watched Saved by the Bell; I would make WKRP mandatory. "As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly."

    ReplyDelete
  4. what is amazing to me is that your children aren't keeping you current. Wilkes regularly sings Ke$ha at the dinner table.....I guess I can thank public schools for our cultural education!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. what is amazing to me is that your children aren't keeping you current. Wilkes regularly sings Ke$ha at the dinner table.....I guess I can thank public schools for our cultural education!!

    ReplyDelete