Saturday, November 01, 2008

It's that time of year again...




Going for it with the NaBloPoMo again, otherwise known as the "Good gravy, 3 new posts since Tuesday? Who has time to read all this crap?" month.



Also, I'm gearing up for a personal month challenge I like to call "I run like a girl" and it's inspired by my good friend Melissa (erm, Melissa? I hope that's ok. Should I run things like this by people first? Should I avoid using that phrase in this paragraph?). Melissa and I met on the first day of grad school orientation torture, which involved both of us as Recovering-Mathy-Majors-Turned-"Oh-never-mind"-HS-Teachers-Turned-Grad Students sitting in a two week refresher course that in a few hours managed to signal strongly that Grad School Would Be Tough.


We became fast friends and eventually that included crack-of-dawn work out partners where we did some light weight lifting, some heavy snarking, a bit of swimming, and a fair amount of talking about how we were not runners and we didn't understand those crazy running people and their running endorphins and all that nonsense.


Cut to last month where Melissa completed a full marathon. A MARATHON. She ran for nearly (but just under, go Melissa!) six hours all in one day. I am in awe. And it was for a great cause, so double awe.

So this month I'm making it my goal to run like a girl--Melissa specifically--and push myself a bit. I won't be running marathons anytime soon, but my goal by the end of the month is to be able to run the equivalent of a marathon (26.2 miles) each week--which would be something like 6-7 miles per run and 4 runs a week or however it gets divided up.


If you want to join me, set your own personal goal--be it a marathon or a mile--and leave a comment. You can even take the badge. Regardless, I'll try to update each week or so with my status.

Today's update: did a lot of talking about it, but no running yet. D'oh!

3 comments:

  1. And is Rob going to run two(2) count them.. TWO .. every week ? .. and HE has the TIME to do it .. hee hee hee..
    I might walk a mile a month .. if it is for a good cause, other than my personal health..

    Love ya..
    DAD N.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking about running again, but now it looks like Julie's going to be hogging the treadmill for a few hours each day, the only hours I would've had to run. So I guess I'll just get fat. For a good cause.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm totally blushing! Really? I was subject of your post? Did I mention that I could barely run a mile before I joined Team in Training?

    And really, compared to the months of training, Marathon day was easy. Really easy and totally awesome (see paragraph on Chocolate GU). But the training days? The days of running twelve miles as the slowest runner at the back of the pack... sneaking in my iPod even though we weren't supposed to... but I did because I sure as hell wasn't spending 4 hours BY MYSELF..... those days were hard.

    So, I congratulate you in your vow to run like a girl. Keep in mind that to beat this girl, you only have to run faster than 4.5 miles per hour.

    P.S. Did I mention I'm blushing?

    ReplyDelete